Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Being Robbed at a Bank Isn't Like the Movies

So I don't know if many of you know this, but I work at a bank...Zions Bank to be exact, as a teller. And even though i never though that it would happen to me, I was robbed. I mean, well, the bank was robbed and I just happened to be the teller at the station the man picked. It all happened so fast that I didn't know what to do really...the whole flight or fight thing kicked in and I guess that my adrenaline was pumping so much that I was probably in shock. So here is what happened on what I would call the worst day at work ever.

I was just cleaning my station, because well people who come into our office aren't always the most pleasant or cleanest looking people. We go through disinfectant like its going out of style and I had just helped a slew of those kind of people. So after a thorough cleaning...I am pretty sure that my finger prints were the only ones on the counter top. This man, that was the criminal...kept walking back and forth as if he was scoping out the place (of course non of this made any sense until after we had already been robbed and I was standing in the back room hyperventilating). He was one of those guys that you look at and he gives you nightmares he was about 6'4", 260 lbs, had a buzzed type hair cute with his brown hair, a nasty grueling jagged face that looked like he had some pretty bad scaring from acne or something like that. ( I only know because this whole scene has played through my mind a million times.) So he put this piece of paper on my station desk that said (and i am paraphrasing because he grabbed the note right after i read it) " This is a robbery, I have a Gun, give me all of your money, No Tracing devices Now.!" At first I thought that it was a joke because I never thought that this would happen to me, but when I looked up at his face I knew this wasn't a Joke. It all kind of went blank after that. I just did what the little training we had on it told me to do. I started to hand him my money...I made sure that what ever traceable devices we had went with him, and I thought it was over. But he wasn't quite happy with what I had given him (you see crooks can be quite greedy some times). So he told me that he wanted 100's and 50's and to hurry up, so I handed him the rest of my money because I didn't give him all of it in the first place. He then told me to go to the back. I didn't know what he meant and I told him I couldn't do that because we cant go back there alone, then he kept saying Go to the back, GO TO THE BACK! so I did and he left. we called the police, my manager, our regional manager and everyone got there pretty fast. I am very impressed with the American Fork Police because they go there and did the best that they could to try and calm me down...even though I was a mess! It was like I was an instant river of tears that wouldn't stop. I only stopped crying when I had to concentrate really hard about the details that I had to explain to the Police, Detective, FBI, and bank representative. So lets just say that I am sick of having to sit down and tell whoever how it happened...So I figured that this would be the best outlet for me. To share the story my way, and not have any questions asked, just tell it how I remember. So for all of you who are thinking about working at a bank...if you don't think it will happen to you just remember that you never know and always prepare yourself.

20 comments:

Camille said...

Chels! I'm so sorry, that's so scary! My credit union was robbed when I worked there but unlike you I wasn't lucky enough to have him at my station. However, he left a booger on the counter so we got his dna and the cops caught him...they called him the booger bandit. Just thought I would tell you that to maybe lighten your mood.

McGiven Family.... said...

I am freaking out...seriously. Chels that is so scary. I would have been bawling my eyes out. I am so glad that you are okay and that nothing bad happened. I am sorry you had to go through that. I would not go back to work....ahhhh! We love you!

Nicole said...

That is so scary! I am so sorry! I am glad you are okay!

Kelly Boyle said...

Chels, I am glad you are okay. It sounds like you did exactly what you were trained to do. If you want I will rally the troops and we will go hunt this guy down for you, and teach him that he should have never messed with someone related to any McGivens, Whites or Brady's. :) I need to know though because there are a lot of troops to rally that are in your corner. Love ya, keep your head up.

Jules said...

Chelsey, Adam has worked at a bank forever and never had that experience. I am so sorry. I give you permission to eat all the chocolate you want and curl up in bed with your protector. Poor T.J. must be beside himself. I hope you feel better and safer soon. That bank needs to give you a paid vacation and a raise. Talk to the boss he's a friend of Grandma's

Truly and Shane said...

Jelsey! You know my thoughts... It brought me to my knees- I'm so thankful you're ok!

Holley said...

Oh my goodness! I am freaking out right now and I'm just reading about your horrible event. I agree with Julie, this calls for some chocolate and some time off! I am so grateful that Heavenly Father was watching out for you! I will keep you in my prayers. Do whatever you need to do to get back to feeling safe again. I'm sure this will be with you for awhile so take care of yourself and remember that everyone loves you.

Brittany said...

I'm glad you did this so that I could get the story from your perspective. I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but I'm glad you are doing better. I love you and let me know if you need anything from me, I'll even make a trip up there if necessary.

Kayla R. said...

OMG!!! you poor thing...

K. Crisler said...

Chels...I am so sorry to hear that, I know exactly how you feel. When I worked at the bank I was robbed twice and its not fun at all. Hope your recovering.
Kelli Crisler

The Shupes said...

So scary!! I worked at a Gas Station back in the day and I was always scared of something happening. The cops came in one day and told me when this certain guy that came, who always came in, that I had to push this button, I was so scared, but he never came, he ran!! I am glad everything is ok. Did they catch the guy? I am sure that TJ won't want you working at a bank much longer!1

Jeanna said...

Chelsea,

I was perusing Julie's blog and clicked on your site and read this awful story. So, so glad that everything turned out okay and that you weren't hurt. I hope you are able to put this behind you very, very soon.

Jeanna (cousin on the McG side)

Lindsey S. said...

Hey Chels. Your blog is way cute. Truly told me all about it. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope everything turns out well!

Masters Of Disasters said...

What the heck!! I didn't know that. I can't believe that it happened to you. I am so glad that nothing physical happened to you. It sounds like you handled everything just right. I worked in a credit union for 3 years, and never thought about that really happening. i don't think I would have handled it as good as you. I am so sorry, lots of luv Linz

lisa louise said...

hahahahahahaha!!!! j/k i just didnt want to put the same thing as everyone else. but i am glad you had something so interesting to blog about!! ;)
love your guts.
lisa

Kayla R. said...

HEY CHELS hope you are coming FRIDAY!! how are you, cant wait to see you*

Sarah Nelson said...

Wow...that is something people think would never happen to them. How scary! I don't know what I would have done...well, probably the exact same thing! I'm glad you're okay.

Nakita Ellis said...

Wow that is crazy. I heard about this bank robbery on the news, but who would've known that you were the poor victim. That sucks, but at least you have a freakin' cool story to tell. Anyway, how is married life treating you? And Springville? I just started a blog, hope you don't mind that I added you to mine :)

Kristen said...

Chelsey!!!!!!!!! No way!!!! You didn't have a trusty button under the counter thing huh. Man, well, I guess we know how easy it is to rob a bank. But you still might get caught.

April said...

That is crazy!! I can't believe it. I am sure you were freaked out. I am so glad that he wasn't violent. I am glad you didn't try to fight back or anything. Craziness!