Sunday, September 26, 2010

Childhood Memories






(These photos were take a couple of months ago at a Summer BBQ)

Yesterday we went to visit my Grandma & Grandpa Stauffer. My Grandpa has been so strong over this past year and we couldn't be more proud of the fighter that he is. When we were up there he was just as sassy as ever, teasing whom ever was willing to take it. I love who he is and the relationship that my grandparents have together. When we were driving away (all my sisters minus Emily) we were talking about all of the great childhood memories we have with this man. (I also came to the realization that TJ & I will be just like them when we are older. TJ constantly teasing me, and I would be laughing at every one's jokes while getting slightly frustrated with all of TJ's teasing. They would be the best people to become). I have come up with a list of a few memories/things that Grandpa has done with us & if anyone has something I didn't name I would love to hear about it.

  • Learning the Murray High School fight song "as the Smelterites go rolling along..."
  • "Mares eat oats. And doe's eat oats. And little lambs eat ivy. ..." (I just found out that this was mares and not bears, talk about messing up a kids childhood memory)
  • Listening to the Beach Boys on cassette tape, while driving in the minivan
  • Grandpa's constant chewing on something crunchy to "stay awake", usually Jordan Almonds or nuts.
  • Taking us to the "Wooz" and "The Nut Tree", he must have ridden that train for hours
  • Making up skits in Grandma & Grandpa's living room
  • Grandpa's master craft at "Cardboard Box House Making"
  • Rollerblading to the park (don't worry folks that was only 10 years ago, & he is in this 80's now.)
  • His love of Peanut Butter Cookies, but he tells me that mine are the best so don't bother competing :-)
  • Combing Grandpa's hair. I don't think there was ever a time he didn't have a comb in his pocket. He could convince any kid that this was the best job in the world & I am still amazed at the many styles we could do with his thick, silver hair.
  • Teaching me how to fish, & getting frustrated that I kept catching them while he was trying to set up all the other kids poles.
  • Pomegranates
  • How he convinced anyone that mushrooms were fungus and shouldn't be eaten.
  • Hearing stories about the best way to cook & assemble a hamburger from his days at the drive-in.
  • His love for travel & discovery in different countries (I guess that was passed onto me).
  • His example of kindness to everyone around him.
We love you so much Grandma & Grandpa!
Thank you for being such amazing examples in our lives!

7 comments:

emily+brett said...

seeing all the places he has travelled at his birthday party was amazing. hopefully you can take after him:)

funny side note: grandma told us grandpa still has his sense of humor. she said he had been constipated and the nurse had to give him a suppository. she said he was in the bathroom a few hours latter and she all of a sudden heard him yell "it's a boy!!" i seriously was laughing so hard. he really is hilarious!

Jules said...

Thanks Chelsey, I will always remember that if anyone was holding a baby he would do his best to get the baby to come to him. Then when they got older he would play that leg game on the floor with them. He was ALWAYS on the floor playing with the kids. I remember his kisses and he wasn't too bashful to plant one right on the lips whenever he saw me. I will never forget his kindness toward Grandma W, but he also didn't let her boss him around, he was the boss. There are a million other things going through my mind, but what it boils down to is I can't imagine what life would have been like not knowing him, I am better for it and I know we all feel the same way.

kelsey and murray said...

i just love memories of fun grandparents. darling post chels!! love you!

Toni S. Cook said...

This is amazing Chels. I have all the same memories (obviously) and am so glad that our families are connected. (even though I can't count the number of times I've tried to explain to people how we're "related" haha). We love you guys so much and I know Grandpa was so so happy to see you all AND he was SO excited to get those cookies!! Love you.

Holley said...

Thanks Chels for the amazing memories. I love that whenever I wanted some good dirt on my Dad all I had to do was talk to Grandpa S and he would fill me in on some of my Dad's more mischievous times. I too will be forever grateful to him and Grandma S for their care of Grandma W. They have taught me so much of what it means to be a true and loyal friend. I'm glad you got to have a nice visit with them. Love you all!

Truly and Shane said...

I second what Toni says. When we left one night I asked Grandpa f there was anything he needed and he said more of Chelsey's peanut butter cookies!

Last time I was there he sat me down and taught me Mares eat oats... love that memory!

Shane has soo many he could write a book! One of my favorites that he told me was that grandpa would just pour milk into those individual cereal boxes instead of getting a bowl. Of course he didn't want to be wasteful!!

Love that every time we part ways he says "bye bye" and tells me I have good kids.

Carrie said...

I love this post! So many great memories! Love them all. I am so grateful and lucky to have grandpa and grandma in my life.